- newU.S. Navy plane crashes in Philippine Sea, three missing
TOKYO (Reuters) - A U.S. Navy transport plane carrying 11 people crashed in the Philippine Sea south of Japan on Wednesday as it flew to the aircraft carrier Ronald Reagan and three people were missing, in the latest Navy accident in the region.
- 21 mins ago 22 Nov 17, 6:18pm -
- newPutin wins backing from Iran, Turkey for new Syria peace push
SOCHI, Russia/RIYADH (Reuters) - Russia's Vladimir Putin won the backing of Turkey and Iran on Wednesday to host a Syrian peace congress, taking the central role in a major diplomatic push to finally end a civil war all but won by Moscow's ally, Pres…
- 26 mins ago 22 Nov 17, 6:13pm -
- newZimbabwe's Mnangagwa to be sworn in as president on Friday
HARARE (Reuters) - Zimbabwe's former vice president Emmerson Mnangagwa will be sworn in as president on Friday, marking a new era for the country ruled by Robert Mugabe from independence nearly four decades ago until his swift downfall this week.
- 50 mins ago 22 Nov 17, 5:49pm -
- newEx-Bosnian Serb commander Mladic convicted of genocide, gets life in prison
THE HAGUE (Reuters) - A U.N. tribunal on Wednesday convicted ex-Bosnian Serb military commander Ratko Mladic of genocide and crimes against humanity for massacres of Bosnian Muslims and ethnic cleansing campaigns to forge a "Greater Serbia", and jail…
- 59 mins ago 22 Nov 17, 5:40pm -
- newMexican leftist Lopez Obrador leads presidential race polls
MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Mexican leftist presidential hopeful Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador showed leads over potential rivals in two newspaper polls published Wednesday, shortly after he unveiled key policies of his campaign platform ahead of next July…
- 2 hours ago 22 Nov 17, 4:49pm -
- newUkraine rebel leader says situation in Luhansk is attempted coup
MOSCOW (Reuters) - The presence of armed men in the streets of the capital of Ukraine's breakaway Luhansk region is an attempted coup by a fired local police chief, Igor Plotnitsky, the head of the self-styled "Luhansk People's Republic" (LNR), said…
- 2 hours ago 22 Nov 17, 4:42pm -
- newSouth Korea, China to hold summit next month to mend ties
(Reuters) - South Korean President Moon Jae-in will visit Beijing next month for a summit with China's Xi Jinping as the two countries seek to mend ties frayed by a year-long spat over the deployment of a U.S. anti-missile system in South Korea, Seou…
- 2 hours ago 22 Nov 17, 4:28pm -
- newGerman Social Democrats face pressure over coalition talks
BERLIN (Reuters) - Germany's Social Democrats (SPD) faced pressure on Wednesday to consider offering coalition talks to Chancellor Angela Merkel's conservatives to settle the worst political crisis in modern German history.
- 2 hours ago 22 Nov 17, 4:18pm -
- newSummit on euro zone future in December still on despite no German government: Tusk
BRUSSELS (Reuters) - A summit of euro zone leaders will go ahead as planned in the middle of December, the chairman of European Union leaders said on Wednesday, dispelling speculation it might be postponed because of the collapse of German coalition…
- 2 hours ago 22 Nov 17, 4:14pm -
- newNorth Korea calls terror relisting 'serious provocation' by Trump: state media
SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korea denounced on Wednesday U.S. President Donald Trump's decision to relist it as a state sponsor of terrorism, calling it a "serious provocation and violent infringement", North Korean state media reported.
- 7 hours ago 22 Nov 17, 11:27am -